The Greener House EPC

Part of The Fellas Group

Contact us

Tel: 01256 975 995


For all the latest updates follow us on Social Media

Energy Performance Certificates


Domestic EPCs

An EPC is legally required for any domestic property if it is being sold, rented and may be required if you are applying for energy grants for improvements such as heat pumps or solar panels.
An EPC gives prospective buyers or tenants information about the energy efficiency of the building they’re buying or renting and will also include recommendations on how to improve the efficiency of the property and reduce energy use.
An assessor will visit the property and conduct a detailed assessment which includes measuring the property, taking notes on the heating and hot water system, and inspecting the levels of insulation in the loft and walls. Most surveys take no longer than 30-60 minutes to complete and the report will usually be emailed within 24 hours.
If the property is being rented, the property must comply with the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) and achieve a minimum rating of an E. We can help you identify what cost effective improvements can be made for properties that fall below the minimum standard.

Non-Domestic (Commercial) EPCs

Commercial EPCs are legally required for the sale or let of all commercial properties within the UK. The EPC shows prospective purchasers or occupants the calculated energy efficiency of the building and is accompanied with a recommendation report which highlights a range of potential improvement measures. As with domestic properties, you are prohibited from leasing a commercial property unless the rating is an E or better. Our team of energy consultants can provide tailored advice on the most cost effective ways to improve your rating.

On Construction/New Build EPCs

All newly constructed or newly converted residential properties in the UK require an On Construction Energy Performance Certificate (OCEPC) prior to occupation as part of the overall sign off process from Building Control.
Once construction is complete, it is the responsibility of the person/company carrying out the work to supply the property owner with an EPC and recommendation report, and notify building control. Building control will not issue a certificate of completion until they are satisfied this has been done.
We can also provide other related building compliance services such as Air Leakage Testing, Extract Fan Flow Rate Testing and Water Consumption Calculations which may also be required to enable sign off from Building Control.

Display Energy Certificates (DECs)

An occupier of a building which has a total ‘useful floor area’ of 250m² or above, is publically occupied and regularly visited by members of the public would be classed as a public building and would therefore require a DEC. This could include schools, museums, hospitals, community centres, leisure centres etc.
Display Energy Certificates (DECs) provide a graphical summary of the energy performance of a building based upon its actual annual recorded energy consumption and is accompanied by a corresponding Advisory Report, which gives a series of recommended energy efficiency improvements which, if adopted, would improve the energy performance of the building.
By law, each DEC must be displayed in a prominent position that is clearly visible to members of the public visiting the building. This tends to be the building’s main entrance or reception area.
The period in which a DEC is valid depends on the total useful floor area. If it is more than 1000m² then the DEC is only valid for 1 year (the advisory report is valid 7 years), however if it is between 250m² and 1000m² then both the DEC and advisory report is valid for 10 years.



© Copyright 2022